Monday, 5 May 2014

Live Below the Line: Day 1

And so it has finally begun! I have just completed my first day living below the line and I can already tell this is going to be a difficult and enlightening experience. 

Yesterday afternoon I made my way to the shop with a $10 note and a vague idea of what I was going to buy with it: rice, oats, and bananas. Honestly, I didn't even know if I would have enough for that so I had decided what I was willing to sacrifice and what I would most need to survive the week.

I left the shop with fuller hands than I expected. Here's what I got:

  • Quick oats - $1.43
  • Jasmine rice - $2.49
  • 5 pack of Mi Goreng - on sale for $2
  • Sultanas - $1.43
  • Bananas $0.98
Total = $9.35
I was surprised and happy with how much I walked away with, though it still doesn't look like much it was more than I had planned for. In the spirit of the challenge though I'd like to note that I was lucky to get these items for such a small price and not everyone is so fortunate. I'd also like to not speak too soon - I might be surprised at how quickly I run out of food.

I have to stay my first day started horribly. I only had about 3 hours sleep the night before and so I woke up I was exhausted, hungry and grumpy! However, I persevered and started my day with a bowl of oats topped with a handful of sultanas, which was actually really yummy. 

After that I was at university 'til about 3 in the afternoon and didn't expect to be held up and so I didn't bring anything to eat with me. By the time I got home I was pretty hungry so I ate one of my bananas while I prepared another (big!) bowl of oats. 

Something I had not anticipated was the oats making me feel sick... I didn't feel too bad after breakfast but I found what I had for lunch to be far too much for my body and mild gluten intolerance to handle. I wouldn't usually eat oats but I was depending on them to keep me feeling full for the longest amount of time. I fear that I will have to depend more on the rice from now on and I'm hesitant to dig into the Mi Goreng after today's gluten-ey scare. 

I also struggled with the lack of tea! I usually drink about 10 cups of green tea a day, but today I could only find comfort in a mug of hot water. Something I often drink after dinner anyway, so I'm sure I'll get used to it as the week goes on.

I'm planning on having a bowl of rice for dinner but for now I'll sit here with my third cup of hot water for the day, planning my meals for tomorrow. 

I have had some interesting questions about the challenge so far. My room mate keeps asking me how far the rules go, "are you allowed to have chewing gum?", "what if I buy you the cup of tea?", "can you put cinnamon in that?", "what about salt and pepper?". I think answering questions like this are a big part of using the campaign to raise awareness, because even the smallest of comforts like a dash of cinnamon or a sprinkle of sugar are not available to those living in extreme poverty.

So I shall persevere the same way they do. So far - despite my previous complaints - the experience has not been too difficult, but I'm sure things will change as the week goes on. Stay tuned!




No comments:

Post a Comment