Improving your lifestyle isn't something that happens overnight - something I'm constantly having to remind myself. One step back isn't going to hinder your progress overall, as long as your persistent you will always improve over time.
Something that has been integral to my progress is the practice of mindful eating. Admittedly, I have been known to turn into a mindless eating machine at times, but I always endeavour to be more aware of what I am eating, why I am eating it, and how it will nourish my body.
Mindful eating isn't something that happens over night - you can't just wake up on day one and fit perfectly into a mindful eating habit. Unless you have excellent self-control - in which case, good for you! I try and practice at least one of these mindful eating technique a day, and I hope eventually I will always eat mindfully.
Avoid Distractions
In todays world, this is a hard task! It's difficult to sit down at the table for breakfast without the television on, or your phone beside you so that you can check Facebook. But trust me, put your phone away and turn of the TV, sit down with your food and absorb the experience. Use this time to think about what you are putting in your mouth, enjoy the taste and think about what good it is doing for your body. I find this technique to be really meditative too! And you don't even have to do it with food. For example: I got home from the gym this morning, had a shower and got ready for uni, but I made sure to leave enough time to sit down with a cup of coffee. I didn't use my phone and I didn't turn the TV on. I made my cup of coffee and sat on the sofa, drinking it slowly and enjoying a quiet moment to myself. I enjoyed the hot liquid pouring down my throat and afterwards I was completely relaxed, clear minded and ready for the rest of the day.Be grateful
Since completing the Live Below the Line Challenge, this aspect of mindful eating has become a greater part of my routine. Take the time to be grateful for the food you have on your plate, and appreciate it for what it will do for your body.Eat slowly and breathe
Enjoy your food! If you put it all in your gob at once and swallow before you taste it, you're not going to enjoy the meal or appreciate it. Chew slowly (this is also good for digestion), think about the taste. Take a few deep breaths in between bites. This gives you time to think about my next technique.Don't stuff yourself!
Eating slowly gives you the time to consider your level of fullness. When was the last time you stuffed yourself full of food and felt fantastic and energised afterwards? Think about how full you are feeling, and how full you will be after the next bite. Consider that you will feel more full once the food gets to your stomach, this won't happen immediately, so try to eat until you are about 80% full, this way you will feel satisfied but not stuffed or bloated. This way you will enjoy your food more and have more energy to do something with your day rather than slipping into a food-coma.Pay attention
Whilst you are eating, consider how the food is making you feel. Are you enjoying it? What is it doing for your mood and energy levels. If you are eating with others, pay attention to what they are saying, enjoy your meals with others and use the time to really listen to them. If you are eating alone, use the time to acknowledge your thoughts and feelings and sort through them.There are plenty more ways to be a mindful eater but these are the techniques I have found to be most helpful and enjoyable. Like I said, I don't always follow my own rules but every time I do I consider it an accomplishment. The more mindfully I eat, the better I feel, and I must always remind myself of this.
Try to eat mindfully during one meal this week and let me know how it made you feel!

No comments:
Post a Comment