I'm vegan because I want to reduce harm to animals as well as environmental impact (not to mention the health benefits). I try and live a minimalist lifestyle because I want to simplify my life, consume less and have a smaller impact on the Earth.
I first heard about 'Live Below the Line' last year, during my first year of University when a student promoted the campaign for an assignment. I was fascinated by the concept, but by the time I had discovered it, it was already over. So this year I am participating and I'm really excited about what the experience will be like.
The idea of 'Live Below the Line' is to go for 5 days, living on no more than $2 a day, to spread awareness about extreme poverty (especially in overseas places like East Timor), and raise money to help those living in these circumstances. I highly recommend you watch this video or visit the website to learn more about the campaign. Also visit my page to donate or join me if you'd like!
I've been thinking a lot about what I am going to spend my $2 a day on. My plan is to spend the entire $10 in one go so that I know exactly what I have for the week. As a student I'm used to spending very little on food already but I'm really excited to see how I will cope on so little. As a minimalist I love spend less challenges.
So far my shopping list is going to look a little like this:
- Rice
- Bananas (breakfast and snacks if I have enough money - they are cheap at the moment)
- Vegetables (perhaps broccoli and something else small for variety, it's reasonably cheap and filling)
- Maybe some sort of seasoning or for the rice like salt or maybe strawberry conserve if I can afford it.
I'm going to keep my eye out for specials too, especially dated products.
The only thing I think I'm really going to struggle with is the fact that I might not have enough energy to go running during the week. Wish me luck!

No comments:
Post a Comment