Monday, 9 February 2015

Some room to think

I hope it doesn't seem materialistic or undiscerning of me to say that my physical surroundings have perhaps the most powerful impact on my life. In fact I mean to be the opposite of materialistic in a sense. One of my most important discoveries on my minimalist journey is that the less I own, the happier I am.

"Minimalism isn't emptiness for the sake of emptiness; but rather making room to move freely, think clearly, and open ourselves to the beauty and wonder of life" - Francine Jay

There's nothing that can clear your mind and motivate you more than a clean and relaxing space to reflect and unwind. Have you ever felt trapped, frustrated or unwelcome in your own home? That probably means you have too many things in your space. Remember: this is your place, everything inside of it should make you happy. If your place is messy or cluttered, you're probably feeling frustrated because you are unknowingly processing your physical surroundings - that coffee table that is only ever covered in papers, the bookshelf with too many books that you will never read, the mismatched armchair you never liked but kept anyway - when you could be focusing your energy on more important aspects of your life.

That's not to say that a blank slate of a home would make you any more relaxed. I imagine like everyone else I dream of the perfect couch, lovely open windows with white skirting, wooden floorboards and a niche little office (oh an office!) of my own to write in and decorate to my hearts desire... right?! These are some of the carefully selected pieces I will one day fill my home with. I will be able to list everything I own, I will cherish my possessions and be grateful for what I have and I will be able to easily maintain my home.

When I come home at the end of the day I want to be able to look around, sigh in content and flop onto that perfect couch without the weight of the world on my shoulders or in my house.



Check out some of my dream home ideas on Pinterest.



No comments:

Post a Comment